Friday, March 30, 2007

2006, 2007 and maybe the 2008 Folk Music Review

Being an amateur reviewer of music I am usually not privy to music before it is released to the general public. Consequently, I review songs, which were released in the 70s, or earlier if the mood suits me. Recently this all changed when I received the latest album from CST (Central Standard Time, a contemporary acoustic folk duo). The last review I read said something about “puckish insouciance”. I figure they locked up the English teacher audience with that review, so now I thought I would write a review of their latest album for the layman, or at least the non-English experts.

To get the straight scoop here is their website. I don’t have time to read it myself so I’m going to work from memory here, since I have followed this band from its infancy back in the waning days of the previous millennium. Other aficionados of CST’s work may read this and say, “You left a lot out, and what you didn’t leave out was often wrong!” To which I write, “Get your own blog.” I don’t have time to write out the whole history of CST here so I’m just going to say they have released three albums when those who have been keeping track know they have “released” at least five. Their first album was “Second Whisper”, a remake with different cover art and a couple extra songs, of their debut album, released on a limited basis. The producer of this album was surely a dolt. This is not a reflection of the music by any means just my feelings about the executive producer. Then they turned around nine months later and released a double platinum album “Folk Singing”. Then, today, nearly a decade later, their latest album (which I have been listening to for a couple weeks now) is available and currently being sold at a concert at Luther College (currently as I write but not likely as you read).

When I pirated the music I didn’t get the album name or any of the song names for this latest work. So for the purposes of this review I will have to make them all up. Having spoken at length to the members of CST I have some ideas about what they may have been planning to call this CD and they have been playing some of these songs for years so I think I know the names. I once suggested that they release an album called “All Hail Mark”. I can only assume they chose this album to do that with. The cover art was supposed to be me, standing in front of a field of hundreds of people, bowing to me and my arms are stretched to the sky. I have not posed for any such picture so I assume they photo-shopped it together.

To wrap up the history of CST this is how I view their body of work: With “Second Whisper” they met. In “Folk Singing” they found their sound. Now with “All Hail Mark” they are just showing off. Typically, these days an album is just a single or an LP with somewhere between eight to a dozen throw away songs. The last decade CST spent in the studio has been well spent, because this album has no discard songs. The only possible exception is the song “Back at this Farm”. It’s a good song but it makes me really sad and I don’t know why. It’s powerfully emotional without specifically ever saying what is so so so so sad.

“Happier Without Me” is a farewell to an old lover song. The guitar has a deep driving beat. The rhythm is moving on its own and then to add the lyrics it’s indescribable without actually listening to it. The line, “There’s no blame to assign, and if there is its all mine…” is awesome, and is only a harbinger of things to come from this group (in my opinion). Listening, I’m reminded of Simon and Garfunkel… back when they were still together. “Time and Again” of AHM was especially reminiscent of “Homeward Bound” of S&G fame, while at the same time being almost completely different.

“To Be Alone” is another song evoking powerful emotion more specifically in this case about a relationship gone bad. Eminently relatable is “Long Way Home Tonight” expressing the desire to slow down and enjoy life for what it is. I would like to think I was standing next to Charlie when he conceived of “Standing On Top of the World” but that sort of wishful thinking should be reserved for something both plausible and relevant. If for no other reason, I give it points because I have been waiting a long time for a song referencing Yurtle. Certainly Theodor Geisel has created the definitive work on turtle stacking with Yurtle the Turtle and it’s about time someone regaled it in song.

I could go on and on about each individual song, but I’m tired. So I’ll just say run out and buy this gem. It’s reminiscent of the Beatles first good album, which I believe was “Rubber Soul” in the way it weaves back and forth from the serious to the light hearted, from slow to up-tempo. So, go out and buy “All Hail Mark” or “Rubber Soul”. You will not be sorry, unless of course, you only like hip hop.

I am willing to accept bribes from Paul, Ringo, Matt or Charlie to delete one of the albums from the previous purchase suggestion.

7 Comments:

At March 30, 2007 4:54 AM, Blogger Charlie said...

Wow. This is a really cool review, if a bit confusing to try to follow. Can I link to it from the CST blog?

What sort of bribe are we talking about?

 
At March 30, 2007 10:30 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Link away my good man... link away. As for the confusing part, I have been away from the blog for a while and I don't quite have my A game back and I felt it important to get the word out before the masses got access to the CD.

Are you always cruising the internets at four in the morning?

 
At March 30, 2007 2:32 PM, Blogger Charlie said...

Only when I'm in Decorah, yo.

 
At April 09, 2007 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am intrigued by your reference to Rubber Soul as being "the Beatles first good album." Surely, so perspicacious and college-educated a person as yourself could not imagine (erroneously) that Rubber Soul was the Beatles' first album. I'll not believe it of you.

However, that being the case, one must then infer that you somehow consider the adjective "good" to be a meaningful distinguisher among various Beatles albums (rather than a simple redundancy, like "cute baby" or "Catholic pope").

This is puzzling.

I suppose you must mean that, while the previous Beatles albums were stunningly fabulous, Rubber Soul was merely "good"--right?

And then I would be curious to know how you justify this harsh critical assessment.

 
At April 10, 2007 10:14 AM, Blogger Mark said...

The statement was mostly added to raise Charlie’s ire (turns out he doesn’t care). Of what I have heard, the Beatles did not released a bad album. Charlie may take issue with “Yellow Submarine” but I have never listened to it all the way through and will therefore refrain from comment. I prefer the second half of the Beatles UK album releases starting with “Rubber Soul”. I have not listened to “Beatles for Sale” so perhaps if I did I would move the line forward to include both that and “Help”. Nothing wrong with “Help”, it’s a solid work, but “Rubber Soul” was the first time they didn’t use an overly staged promo picture for their cover art work, and made a firm effort to not sing exclusively about how they want to hold someone’s hand.

 
At April 16, 2007 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, Charlie didn't rise to the bait, but I did.

Boy, do I feel dumb.

 
At November 10, 2008 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home