Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Chicken Poop for the Soul

I have nothing insightful or humorous to offer today, but my fan expects a post at least once every eight weeks. Who am I to disregard the desires of my fan?

I was silently bemoaning my shortcomings today. Bemoaning is probably the wrong word. Who am I kidding? Bemoaning is the wrong word. Contemplating is the right word. So, I was contemplating my shortcomings. Silently. It turns out that this sort of thing takes a while. It’s not the quality of contemplation, but rather the quantity of contemplation that causes it to be a lengthy process.

I realize this is more of a January thing. For some reason I am hitting the New Year's reflection early this time. As I stated previously, this doesn’t improve the quality of my self-evaluation. Therefore, being proactive is not helpful. Any blogger who writes otherwise is trying to sell you something.

Right now you may be thinking, “Would you at least start moving in the general direction of your point, or failing that, any point!” To you I say, “I didn’t expect anyone to read this far.”

The conclusion I came to… Perhaps that’s a bit strong. The word “conclusion” implies a lot more than the evidence can back up. It is more appropriate to say that something occurred to me. My shortcomings can’t be solved on a two-hour Christmas Special. A miniseries might not even do it. It’s hard to say really, I’ll contemplate that tomorrow. My point is relevant regardless of how that contemplation turns out though.

I am the sum of a few strands of genetic code and roughly three decades of environmental stimulus. After smoothing out the rough edges for that long the only problems I have left are deeply rooted character flaws. That is not to say that there isn't a great deal to work on. 'Cause there is. For what is left, neither the problems nor the resolutions would be heartwarming enough for a good Christmas Special. So, like Charlie Brown, my half hour special ends much like it began. No resolution, just a confrontation with a number of thought provoking issues and a solemn prayer that a Christmas Miracle will greet this weary world.

8 Comments:

At December 09, 2005 1:44 AM, Blogger Charlie said...

"Chicken Poop for the Soul" is the finest post title in the history of bloggydom. Bar none. There's A&W Cream Soda all over my computer monitor now.

 
At December 10, 2005 1:29 PM, Blogger Mark said...

I thought of the title at work. When it occurred to me I burst into a poorly stifled laugh. Then I thought, “Why haven’t I heard or read this before.” If the book doesn’t already exist maybe I should write it.

I hope your computer monitor is OK.

 
At December 10, 2005 2:08 PM, Blogger Charlie said...

this is the closest I've ever seen.

 
At December 12, 2005 11:02 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

My monitor is now enjoying the taste of... well, let's just say I laughed so hard I sneezed. :-)

Someday, when you are comtemplating your (what's the opposite of shortcomings? longgoings?) anyway, those things, then you should write another post. It sure would be funny if I could suggest an amusing title for that post now, but I can't.

 
At December 12, 2005 11:24 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

Might I suggest also in this forum that Charlie get a move on and post something, too? :-)

 
At December 12, 2005 4:22 PM, Blogger Mark said...

I agree. If Charlie does not post soon he may have to shorten the name of his blog and take out the word "Musings".

Someday I will write of my "long-goings". It will be a happy day.

See you when you get back!

 
At December 12, 2005 6:57 PM, Blogger Matt said...

As far as I'm concerned, Eyore, you are long gone. That is to say, you've so few shortcomings that I can't think of any right now.

 
At December 13, 2005 9:35 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Thanks Matt. That's some serious back-having, the likes of which I have not come to expect from my friends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home