Monday, June 20, 2005

Time Flies Like a Churro

I have spent some time pondering my life and thinking about time passing since I read Carrie’s post “Time Does Fly…” This weekend it hit me. I was sitting in church and the minister talked about (Matthew 6:31) “Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?” I would say that this has been the biggest difference between now and my carefree days of youth. In my youth I had problems, kids made fun of me at school, poor grades, and a brother who was far better than me at everything to name a few, but I never had cause to worry about whether or not I would be fed, and clothed. I never had the latest fashions, and that was really a good character building exercise that some would say has lasted to the present, when they see what I wear. I digress. The point is, until I graduated from college I never worried about what I would eat, what I would wear or a roof over my head. Even then it didn’t concern me much. Then I got married and decided it was time I began worrying about whether or not there was food, clothing, and shelter for my wife and me.

Reflecting on the Sermon on the Mount has caused me to believe that worry or concern is ultimately what has caused me to lose my child like wonder and abandon my big dreams for the daily grind. I need to have no worry about what I shall eat, drink or wear. This will free up my life for the more noble pursuits. That is what I will do from today forth. The small trivialities of life shall be left to take care of themselves and I shall spend my time on larger matters allowing me to live the life I dreamt so long ago… right after I figure out what to have for dinner.

Tune in next time for “Have Your Porch and Eat it Too.”

1 Comments:

At June 21, 2005 4:33 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Awww, it is so nice that you care about my welfare so much.
Don't worry about dinner. I think we will have lasagna and salad and maybe even apple cobbler for desert.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home